Saturday, August 1, 2009

Atlantic puffin


These two puffins, along with quite a few others, live at the Lisbon Oceanarium, which I visited on my last day in Lisbon, this July. While I've been to larger aquariums, this one is has a very impressive collection of animals and plants - over 16,000 according to Wikipedia.

Photography in the aquarium is very hard, if you don't know what you are doing, it's pretty much impossible. Flash is forbidden, though it wouldn't help at all, since it would just bounce back from the windows (though despite this, people use flash all the time - presumably because they don't know how to turn it off). The main problem is that it is very dark inside the aquarium. I had to use a very high sensitivity, up to ISO 1600, to have a fast enough shutter speed so that the fish and other animals were not blurry. Besides this, most cameras have a hard time focusing through the glass and into water. The lens I used has a very fast and precise focusing motor, but it still had problems every now and then. Still, I managed to take quite a few nice photos, which will find their way here.

No comments:

Post a Comment